Wyman’s Cherry Pie
Wyman’s Cherry Pie features a simple homemade filling with Wyman’s Sweet and Tart Cherries with a hint of almond, wrapped up in a delicious pastry crust. This pie is a great addition to holiday menus, topped with freshly made whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
We really love the flavor that using fresh frozen cherries brings to this recipe, rather than canned. With each bite, you’ll get a burst of sweetness and tartness, with a hint of almond. This recipe calls for pastry dough for the crust, which works wonderfully (and saves time on busy holidays!), but if you have a favorite recipe that will work great too. Try ours below!
Simple Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Regal Fine Sea Salt (#1146)
- 1 Tbsp C & H Pure Granulated Sugar (#1632)
- 2 cubes (1 cup) Kirkland Salted Sweet Cream Butter (#1723), cut into pieces
- 4-8 Tbsp ice water
First, add the flour, salt, sugar and butter to a bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture until there are small pea-sized chunks. Then, add 4 Tbsp of the ice water (without the ice!) and mix, adding 1 Tbsp of water at a time until the dough begins to form into clumps. Now, use floured hands to roll the dough into a ball. Divide it in half, and flatten it into disks. Wrap with Crystal Wrap Foodservice Film (#6127) and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Now, carefully roll each portion of the chilled pie dough on a floured surface to be about 12 inches across. Place one in the bottom of a pie pan, making sure itâ€™s pushed out into the corners of the dish. Add the filling, then place the second piece on top and bake as directed below, or until golden brown.
How to store leftovers:
If you have any leftovers, simply store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or, cover tightly and freeze for up to 2-3 months. Additionally, you can make a bigger batch of the filling to use at a later date.
Wyman’s Cherry Pie features a simple homemade filling with Wyman’s Sweet and Tart Cherries with a hint of almond, wrapped up in a delicious pastry crust.
Wyman’s Cherry Pie
- 6 cups Wymanâ€™s Dark Sweet & Tart Cherries (#1217), thawed, drained (reserve 2 Tbsp juice)
- 1 cup C & H Granulated Sugar (#1632)
- 2 Tbsp Clabber Girl Cornstarch (#2849)
- 2 Tbsp Lehi Mills Turkey Brand Bread Flour (#2285)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Pastry dough for two 9â€ pie crusts
- Egg white (or cold water) and sugar to sprinkle on crust
- First, preheat oven to 400F. Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Then, combine reserved cherry juice with almond extract. Add cherries to the liquid mixture. Add in the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Pour into a lined 9â€ pie plate. Top with remaining pastry dough and crimp edges.
- Next, brush edges and top with cold water. Sprinkle with sugar and vent the top crust.
- Finally, bake 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown
Recipe from Catalog #12, 2021