Homemade BBQ Sauce: 101
With grilling season in full swing, we had to share our new favorite product: Shirley J Barbeque Sauce Mix 12 oz. Container (#3044). It is the most versatile BBQ product on the market and is perfect as a sauce, rub, marinade, or spice. Sprinkle on burgers or chicken as you grill, add water or your choice of liquids (soda, beer, fruit juice etc.) to make your own unique sauces. Just mix 1 part BBQ Sauce Mix to 3 parts water, and simmer for 2-3 minutes for best results. The whole container yields approx. 6 cups sauce, and this mix is Gluten Free! It really doesn’t get better than this. Keep reading to learn more about how we’ll be using this mix.
- For a fruity surprise, add peach, strawberry or blueberries.
- Add espresso powder and use as a dry rub
- For extra sweetness, mix in honey or maple syrup.
- If you’re craving more heat, add dried chipotle chiles.
- To add southwestern flare, add roasted green chiles.
- As a marinade for Sun-Land Chicken Breast (#5513), Kirkland Tenderloins (#2945), or Kirkland Thighs (#1317).
- Use as a dry rub or basting for a rack of ribs.
- Smothered on Double L Ranch Meats Smoke Craft Pulled Pork (#1677) for sandwiches.
- As a topping or dry seasoning for burgers. Try stacking onion rings, too!
- Use for Grilled BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza.
- Use as-is for a dip, or mix in mayonnaise and Rosie’s Ranch Seasoning (#1032).
- Smother onto grilled Smithfield Bone In Pork Chops (#2184). Add vegetables for easy kabobs!
- For a meatless option, cauliflower wings using Flav-R-Pac Cauliflower Florets (#6383) will satisfy any wings craving.
- Throw into a crockpot with grape jelly and Hillshire Farms Cocktail Franks (#6042).
- As a dipper for Tyson Panko Breaded Chicken Tenders (#1615) or Yummy Dino Buddies Chicken Nuggets (#1258).
- Spread on top of your favorite meatloaf recipe.
- Make baked beans from scratch!
- Smother on top of Rosina Italian (#9142) or Homestyle (#8963) meatballs.
- Drizzle on top of Loaded Cheese Fries.
- Basted on grilled Aquastar Black Tiger Shrimp (#2806) or Pacific Seafood Atlantic Salmon Portions (#8669).
- Top Double L Hardwood Smoked Burnt End Links (#2950) with bbq sauce, pineapple and peppers.
- Add this tangy goodness to chicken enchiladas for a fun twist.
- Load up baked potato skins with Daily’s Precooked Bacon (#4835), Double L Ranch Meats Smoke Craft Pulled Pork (#1677), SupHerb Farms Fresh Frozen Green Onion (#1864), and sour cream.
- Top summer salads with a refreshing BBQ Vinaigrette.
BBQ Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 6 Kirkland Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs (#1317), thawed
- 1/2 cup BBF Avocado Oil (#3516)
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Shirley J Barbeque Sauce Mix (#3044)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- First, add the avocado oil, vinegar, and 1 Tbsp of the mix to a Ziploc Gallon Bag (#2777). Then, add the chicken and marinate for at least one hour, or overnight for best results.
- Then, prepare the sauce by mixing Shirley J BBQ Sauce Mix with water in a small pot. Stir until smooth, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat your grill to medium low, then add the chicken. After 10 minutes, baste the sauce on top, flipping the chicken so it’s fully covered. Continue for about 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from grill and let rest before cutting into it. If desired, top with more barbecue sauce, making sure it isn’t the same bowl as was used for basting. Enjoy!