Savory Italian seasoned meatballs, tomato sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese enveloped in crisp pizza dough for easy Calzones. Great for celebrating National Meatball Day!
Can I change this recipe?
Calzones are basically “adult” hot pockets, and we are here for it! The filling possibilities are endless- which we love because everyone can customize their own calzone for dinner. #momwin. However you decide to fill your calzone, we recommend having at least one of these cheese blends on hand- Tillamook Medium Cheddar Shredded Cheese (#1866), Kirkland Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese (#1860), or Galbani Shredded Parmesan Cheese (#2554).
Here are a few of our go-to filling options:
- Bonici Sliced Pepperoni (#2031)
- Childer’s Ground Sausage (#2550), Childer’s Ground Chuck (#2549), and Daily’s Hardwood Smoked Peppered Thick Sliced Bacon (#8465)
- Simplot RoastWorks Flame-Roasted Pineapple & Pepper Blend (#2411)
- Farmland Naturally Hickory Smoked Bone-In Ham Steaks (#5659), diced
- Flav-R-Pac Omelette Blend (#3216)
- BBQ Sauce + Pierce FC Diced Chicken (#2546)
Savory Italian seasoned meatballs, tomato sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese enveloped in crisp pizza dough for easy Calzones.
- 1/4 bag Rosina Italian Style Meatballs (#9142)
- 3 DeIorio’s Pizza Dough Balls (#2377), thawed
- 1 1/2 cups Barilla Traditional Tomato Sauce (#2545) or marinara sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp water
- First, preheat oven to 375°F. Then, line a Crestware Baking Sheet (#4020) with AP Parchment Paper (#1153).
- Next, roll the dough balls out on a floured surface to about 1/4″ thick. Cut two large circles out of each rolled out dough ball, then use a fork to poke holes throughout.
- To assemble, spread about 2 tablespoons of sauce along the circle, leaving about 1″ around the border. Then, place 4 meatballs in a line along the center, followed by 1/2 cup of mozzarella. Carefully fold the dough in half, rolling and crimping together the edges to seal. Place onto the prepared cookie sheet, and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Now, whisk together the egg and water and use a basting brush to brush the top of each calzone. If desired, sprinkle a little bit of AP Parmesan Garlic Perfection (#2475) on top.
- Then, bake for 40 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with more sauce for dipping. Enjoy!