Baklava is a popular treat this time of year, but we love this variation using Nutella, almonds, and pistachios wrapped in a crispy phyllo crust. You could easily make this recipe into bite-size desserts by layering the filling in our Athen’s Mini Phyllo Shells (#1816).
Can this be made ahead of time?
It sure can! In fact, since this recipe has to set for at least 4 hours to overnight, it is best prepared ahead of time. Simply prepare, cool, and wrap in plastic wrap (#6127). It can be frozen for up to 2 months, then thawed as desired.
Looking for more Phyllo recipes?
Baklava is a popular treat this time of year, but we love this variation using Nutella, almonds, and pistachios wrapped in a crispy phyllo crust.
- 1 package Athen’s Phyllo Dough (#9041), thawed
- 1 1/2 cup Nutella (#7338)
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kirkland Almonds (#1294), chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ground Saigon Cinnamon (#3626)
- 1 cup Kirkland Butter (#1723), melted
- 1 1/2 cup C & H Granulated Sugar (#1632)
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Microwave the Nutella for about 40 seconds, or until soft. Then, mix with the nuts and cinnamon.
- Then, unroll the sheet and cover them with a damp towel or cling wrap (#) to prevent from drying out.
- Butter a USA Pan Rectangular Cake Pan (#1606), then place one Phyllo sheet in the bottom of the pan and brush with butter. Repeat with 9 more sheet.
- Next, spread the Nutella mixture over the phyllo. Layering 1/3 of the nuts next, and repeating the processes 2 more times.
- Once the filling is done, layer with the remaining phyllo sheets. There should be about 10. Then, brush the top layer with butter.
- Now, cut lengthwise into thirds. Cut a diagonal line from one corner to the next to create a diamond shape.
- Once all the pieces are cut, bake for 45-55 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- After you remove the baklava from the oven, pour the hot sugar mixture over top and allow to set for at least 4 hours.
Adapted from: https://athensfoods.com/recipes/nutella-baklava/