Quick & Easy Ways to Shred Chicken
Shredded chicken is a staple for salads, sandwiches, casseroles, soups, and more. It can be time-consuming, but we’re sharing a handful of ways to make prepping it easier than ever! Once it’s prepped, it can be stored in the fridge or freezer to use for future meals. Or, give it a try in one of the recipes linked below!
Start with seasoning your chicken. This can vary depending on the recipe you’re using it in, but our go-to basic seasoning consists of Regal Spice Fine Sea Salt (#1146), AP Table Grind Black Pepper (#1029), AP Premium Garlic Powder (#1021), AP Mild Chili Powder (#1014), and AP Mild Paprika (#1697).
Whichever method you choose, try it on: Sun-Land Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 4 lb. Bag (#5513), Pierce Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast 12 lb. Case (#6519), Sun-Land Chicken Breast Tenders (#6829), or Kirkland Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs (#1317).
1. Instant Pot
First, drizzle BBF Avocado Oil (#3516) into Instant Pot on saute setting. Add 3 seasoned chicken breasts and lightly brown. Then, add 1 cup water + 3/4 tsp Custom Culinary Master’s Touch Chicken Base (#1038). Add lid and cook on high pressure for 45-60 minutes, then let natural release for 10 minutes before quick release and shred. Allow to cool slightly before shredding.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Add seasoned chicken to grill and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, flipping halfway through. Allow to cool slightly before shredding.
3. Crock Pot
Line a crock pot with PanSavers Slow Cooker Liner (#1089). Then, add 3 seasoned chicken breasts and 1 cup water + 3/4 tsp Custom Culinary Master’s Touch Chicken Base (#1038). Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow to cool slightly before shredding. Then, remove from crock pot for shredding.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Add 3 seasoned chicken breasts and 1 cup water + 3/4 tsp Custom Culinary Master’s Touch Chicken Base (#1038) to a baking dish. Bake for 60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow to cool slightly before shredding.
This is our least recommended method. But, if you go with this one, cooking it in Custom Culinary Chicken Base (#1038) mixed with water will instantly improve the flavor! Simply season the chicken, add a splash of BBF Avocado Oil (#3516) to a pot, and brown the chicken. Then, add chicken broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Be careful not to overcook, or it will become rubbery. Allow to cool slightly before shredding.
- Transfer cooked chicken into a kitchen aid bowl. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the chicken is shredded to your liking.
- Place cooked chicken on a Crestware Flexible Cutting Mat (#3840). Hold one fork in each hand, pulling apart the meat.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Then, using a hand mixer with the whisk attachments, mix on a low speed until shredded to your liking.
- Use BBQ Bear Claws by pulling away from the center to shred the meat.
- If cooked correctly, you can shred the chicken with your hands by carefully pulling it apart. We recommend doing this with kitchen grade gloves over a cutting board.
- Allow the chicken to cool slightly before shredding. Shred while still warm, but not hot.
- Prep meat for the week, split up for each day, and store in Deli Containers.
- Reserve any juices from cooking the chicken. When you put it in storage containers, add the juices back in to prevent the chicken from drying out.