Indian Fry Bread
Whether you know this dish as Indian Fry Bread, Navajo Tacos, or another name, it is a well-known comfort food. Tender and crispy scones topped with a ground beef mixture and your choice of taco-like toppings. Sign us up! Plus, if you have extra scones, simply top with a simple honey butter for a deeeelicious dessert.
Tips for cooking scones:
If you’re using Parker House Style Rolls (#1136) for scones, it is important to allow them thaw and slightly raise before frying. Otherwise, you’ll end up with slightly dense scones. Another tip is to make sure the oil is hot, but not boiling. If it is boiling, the outside will cook too fast and you’ll be left with raw dough in the center. Lastly, cook until just golden brown. This will leave you with a nice, crisp outside, leaving the center soft and chewy.
If you like this recipe, try these:
Tender and crispy scones topped with a ground beef mixture and your choice of taco-like toppings. Sign us up!
Indian Fry Bread
- 1 Tbsp BBF Avocado Oil (#3516)
- 1 lb. Double L Ranch Meats FC Ground Beef Crumbles (#2455)
- 3 Tbsp AP Chili Seasoning Mix (#1015)
- 1 tsp AP Mild Paprika (#1697)
- AP Regal Coarse Sea Salt (#1147) and AP Coarse Black Pepper (#1028), to taste
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Kirkland Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese (#1860)
- 6-12 Parker House Style Rolls (#1136), thawed and slightly risen
- Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- Optional toppings: Diced tomatoes, Flav-R-Pac Chopped Onions (#5772), olives, sour cream
- First, heat oil in a skillet. Then, add the ground beef crumbles, chili seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper, kidney beans, and diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the beef is heated through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the scones. Roll the dough out until about 1/4 inch thick. If desired, cut the rolls into smaller pieces. Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a separate pan over medium heat. Carefully drop the roll dough in, cooking until golden brown. Flip them over, then cook until the other side is golden brown. Carefully remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate. Continue until all the scones are cooked.
- To assemble, top your warm scone with lettuce, the meat mixture, shredded cheese, onions, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!