Blueberry & Lemon Hot Cross Buns
So, what exactly is a Hot Cross Bun? It is simply a spiced sweet bun, typically made with currants or raisins, marked with a cross on the top. It is traditionally eaten on Good Friday or during Lent. But, it is also quite popular for Easter morning.
Our Favorite Adaptations:
- Adding icing. Simply mix 2 cups confectioners sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, 1/4 tsp Zesty lemon zest (#1433), and 1 tsp vanilla (#1625). Use the icing to make the cross shape over the top of your warm buns.
- Dried fruits- currants, raisins (#1137), cranberries (#9205), etc.
- Cheesy Hot Cross Buns. This adaption is perfectly paired with soup.
More Easter Favorites:
These citrus hot cross buns make a clever twist on an Easter classic.
Blueberry and Lemon Hot Cross Buns
- 2 cups Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting (#2285)
- 2 1/4 tsp SAF Instant Yeast (#2446)
- 1/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (#1005)
- 2 Tbsp olive
oil,can sub avocado oil (#3516)
- 1 lemon, zested (sub with 1 Tbsp Zesty Lemon Zest #1433)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (#1218)
- 1/4 cup flour (#2285)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (#1590)
- Mix the bread flour, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, oil, 2 tsp sea salt and 350ml warm water in a bowl with a spoon first, and then with your hands.
- Add the zest and continue to knead (or use a mixer fitted with a dough hook) for around 10 mins until it feels less sticky. Shape into a ball, return to the bowl and cover.
- Leave to rise for about 1 hr or until doubled in size (or leave in the fridge overnight).
- Knock the air out of the dough. Gently knead in the frozen blueberries.
- On a floured surface, shape into eight buns. Put the buns on a baking tray lined with baking parchment (no more than 2cm apart) and prove somewhere warm for 1 hr or until well risen.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Then, brush the bun tops with milk.
- Mix the plain flour with water to make a paste, transfer to a piping bag and pipe crosses on top.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden and risen. Brush with the maple syrup while still warm.
- Blueberry Cheesecake Pops - Alisons Pantry Delicious Living Blog - […] Blueberry & Lemon Hot Cross Buns […]
- Cadbury Egg Cookies - Alisons Pantry Delicious Living Blog - […] Blueberry & Lemon Hot Cross Buns […]
- Easter Brunch Recipe Roundup - Alisons Pantry Delicious Living Blog - […] eaten on Good Friday or during Lent, but, are also quite popular for Easter morning. These Blueberry and Lemon…