Meal of the Month: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
We love it when our customers and Reps share favorite family recipes with us, so this month we planned our free webinar cooking class around some of those shared recipes. We asked our Alison’s Pantry friends to share their favorite recipes using our #6519 Pierce Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, and then our Regional Sales Managers selected several recipes to demo in April’s free cooking class. We were delighted with the recipe submissions, and we think you’ll love them too!
This submission from Angie Mackey will give you a little taste of the delicious, comforting recipes we’ll be sharing. We’re spotlighting her Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole for our April Meal of the Month. When Julie Hawkes, our Sales Manager, cooked up this recipe for her family, she said, “Our family loved this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole. The crunchy breadcrumb topping combined with the tangy sauce and tender chicken made it extra special. This is a recipe worth trying!”
Want to see the rest of our featured recipes? Don’t miss our April webinar. Click here to learn more and register!
- o 7 chicken breasts, #6519 cubed, seasoned with salt and pepper, and cooked through
- o 1/2 pound very thinly sliced deli-style honey ham, rough chopped, ham steak #5659
- o 3 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- o 4 tablespoons butter
- o 4 tablespoons flour
- o 2 cups milk
- o 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- o 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika #1697
- o 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper #1418
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- o salt, to taste
- o 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- o 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- o 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried parsley
- o salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Put 1/3 of the cooked shredded or diced chicken on the bottom of the baking dish. Rough chop the ham and scatter 1/3 over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese on top, and repeat the layers until all chicken and ham are used.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When butter is melted, quickly stir in the flour to form a smooth roux. Do not brown! Once the roux is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the cold milk while stirring briskly to make a smooth sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Stir in the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper. Bring sauce just back to a low boil and turn off heat. Pour sauce evenly over the casserole, being certain to get some of the sauce around the edges of the pan.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a medium sized microwaveable bowl. Heat it for 30 seconds at a time and stop once it’s melted. Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir in the panko bread crumbs, seasoning salt and crushed dried parsley. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake casserole uncovered for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly throughout and topping has turned a light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with Lamb Weston Baby Bakers and Flav-R-Pac Broccoli Florets.