3 Essential Sides for Every BBQ
So, what exactly do we need to have a good BBQ? Well, besides having good people we need good food! Whether you have hamburgers or hot dogs as the star of the show, it isn’t complete without having a couple good side options for your guests.
Easy Prep Sides:
Our McCain products are great for no hassle BBQ sides. Not only are they tasty, but they are kid friendly as well. Perfect for a last second pot luck!
- First, to keep the kiddos happy, we love our Smiles Shaped Potatoes (#2417). You can either deep fry or bake, and they will be ready in under 15 minutes.
- Second, if you want to feel like you’re eating at Texas Roadhouse, try our Pickle Chips (#1275). We like dipping these in our Chipotle Ranch (#2589).
- Third, no BBQ is complete with our a side of fries. Try sprinkling some Seasoning Salt (#1033) on our Waffle Fries (#2416).
- Last but not least, our Mozzarella Sticks (#1270). Dip these in marinara sauce, or eat on their own. Either way, they’re delicious!
Even more sides:
Barbecue Baked Beans are an irresistible dish that no one can pass up!
Barbecue Baked Beans
- 2-28 oz. cans baked beans
- 1 lb bacon (#4835), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion (#5772)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (#1150)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large cast iron dish or baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until warmed through. Enjoy!
*For more flavor, top with extra brown sugar before baking. Mix before serving.
Adapted from: https://realhousemoms.com/aunt-pattis-bbq-baked-beans/
Our Seven Layer Taco Dip is perfect for any BBQ, party, or Football game.
Seven Layer Taco Dip
- 2 16 oz cans refried beans
- 1 lb sour cream
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese (room temp)
- 6 tbsp taco seasoning divided (#1846)
- 2 1/2 cups Pico de gallo or salsa
- 12 oz. tub Calavo Guacamole (#9247)
- 1 cup Shredded mild cheddar (#1651)
- Sliced olives optional
- Green onion optional
- In a bowl, blend 2 cans of refried beans and 3 tbsp taco seasoning with a hand-held mixer.
- In a separate bowl, blend cream cheese, sour cream, and the remaining 3 tbsp of taco seasoning with a mixer. Make sure to blend the cream cheese well.
- We used a trifle bowl, but any 9×13 dish will work just fine- the layers will be thinner if you use a dish. Begin layering each layer starting with the refried beans, sour cream mixture, guacamole, Pico de gallo, shredded cheddar, and a handful of sliced olives. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Top ours with tomatoes and green onion for color, if desired.
Adapted from: https://simplyhomecooked.com/seven-layer-dip/
Cornbread is the ultimate comfort food. Whether you like adding Jalapenos or eating it plain with Honey Butter, (most) everyone loves it. To make this recipe easier, simply use our Cornbread Mix (#2130) and add the cheese, corn and jalapenos.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (#2285)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda (#2848)
- 1/2 tsp salt (#1146)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped, drained pickled jalapeños or fresh jalapeños (depending on how spicy you want your cornbread to be, you can do 1/2 cup instead)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (#1090)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey jack or cheddar cheese (#1651)
- First, preheat the skillet. Put the canola oil in a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven. Heat oven to 400°F with the skillet inside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, and egg.
- Next, in a third bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, and egg. Stir in the melted butter, the chopped jalapeños, corn, and cheese.
- Once the oven has reached 400°F and the skillet is hot, carefully remove the empty skillet from the oven. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet, making sure it is smooth.
- Then, place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once it is finished baking, let your cornbread rest in the skillet for 10 to 20 minutes before cutting wedges and serving.
*Remember that the skillet will be very HOT. We recommend keeping a pot holder draped over the handle.