Jen’s Lemon Classic Creme Cake
A favorite of our family is to make the Classic creme cake (#1823) and add 15-20 drops of lemon essential oil. Frost with a light vanilla buttercream. Also, I have made it with poppy seeds and baked it in my bundt pan or my mini muffin pan. Then made a lemon glaze with my oil, adding just enough to smell and taste. It’s amazing! Another option that is my son’s favorite is to add the raspberry filling (#1644). It’s his favorite cake and has it for his Birthday every year.
Jen’s Lemon Classic Creme Cake
For the cake:
- 4 1/2 cups Classic Creme Cake mix (#1823)
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 15-20 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (#1151)
- 1 tbsp water
- Lemon essential oil, to tase
- Raspberry Filling (#1644), or your favorite homemade recipe.
- Combine eggs, oil, & water. Add 1/2 liquid to a bowl. Add mix and blend with a mixer for three minutes. Add the balance of liquids while mixing, including lemon essential oil, then continue to mix for two more minutes.
- Fill 9″ x 13″ cake pan (coated with cooking spray), or a bundt cake pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes in 375º oven.
- Once cooled, you can cut the cake in half to add the raspberry filling.
- Add glaze to top of cake and serve
Yield: 1 9″ x 13″ cake.
Recipe from: Jen Christensen
Tips for Cake Success
As a disclaimer, these tips are in no particular order. There are so many tips when it comes to baking, we selected a few that we felt related to this recipe. If you have any other tried-and-true cake tips, leave a comment below! We love getting tips from our fellow foodies.
- First, an important step is to make sure your eggs are room temperature. Along with that, if you are using your own cake recipe, make sure butter, milk, sour cream, etc are room temp as well.
- Second, To make the perfect glaze, you will need 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3-4 tbsp milk or water, and 2 tsp vanilla extract (you can sub with lemon extract for an extra tart dessert). Simply add the sugar to a bowl and slowly add the other ingredients, making sure it stays smooth.
- Third, Don’t forget to grease your pan! Two of our favorites are Vegalene and Bak-klene to make sure our desserts don’t stick.
- Last, make sure you measure your ingredients properly so the texture of your cake turns out perfect every time. Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one who gets lazy when measuring flour and brown sugar.
Other Favorite Sweet Treats
To be honest, we had a hard time narrowing down our favorite sweet treats. If you’re looking for a more prepared option, try our Orange Bakery Turnovers, Janey Lou’s Cinnamon Rolls, or any of our Simply Goodness Cookies.
- We love this recipe for Brownie Desserts in a Jar. The best part is, it can be customized for anyone. All you need to do is make the brownie mix and bake, then everyone can add the toppings they want!
- Next up is Slow Cooker Berry Cobbler. Top this sucker with ice cream, and we promise the dish will be licked clean!
- In addition to these other treats, we love a good rice pudding. When we found this Instant Pot Rice Pudding, we were so excited to bring back memories at grandma’s house, without all the hassle of a typical rice pudding. Just dump everything in your instant pot, and forget about it for a couple of hours!